Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Do-Gooder Scrooge Says “Bah, Humbug” About Organic Food Program


I’m sitting in synagogue listening to a sermon urging us to participate in a community effort to support (subsidize) local organic farmers. Apparently for this program – I have to pay ahead of time for each growing season, I have to take what gets delivered, and I have to go pick up the whatever each week on a certain day at a nearby location.

And I’m thinking – this is ridiculous! I buy organic fruits and vegetables at a neighborhood store in the same strip mall as my pharmacist. The neighborhood store also sells non-gluten products, which I need. And I don’t have to pay ahead of time or get vegetables I don’t want and in quantities I can’t use.

Oh, yes, the sermon giver said we have to pay a premium for this program, but she said that this is worth it.

I’ll tell you what’s worth it – taking the money I save by not doing this program and instead increasing my donations to Mazon: A Jewish Response to Hunger.

Never heard of Mazon? Here’s information from the home page of www.mazon.org:

  • MAZON allocates donations from the Jewish community to prevent and alleviate hunger among people of all faiths and backgrounds.

  • Join the tens of thousands of American Jews, and hundreds of synagogues across the United States, in the fight against hunger.

  • MAZON funds emergency food providers, food banks, multi-service organizations and advocacy groups both in this country and abroad.

  • Learn about hunger and the Jewish community’s efforts to find a long-term solution.

I say “bah, humbug” to participating in the community organic food program. I’ll buy my organic fruits and vegetables at a regular store and support Mazon: A Jewish Response to Hunger.

Technorati Tags:
, , ,

No comments: