Friday, June 20, 2008

The Berenstain Bears … and Too Much Online Marketing Information


Remember the children’s book “Berenstain Bears and Too Much Birthday.” In my family we used to take that expression “too much” and add a different ending.

Tonight, after finally filing over three months of Wall Street Journal articles, reports, ezines, and emails connected with online marketing, I’ve had “too much internet marketing information.”

I have notes for my notes of sites I want to explore – Gather.com, Flock, Twhirl, Blogher. And this week’s Wall Street Journal had new ones I hadn’t heard of before – Yoono, Minggl.com, FriendFeed. (Where do these names come from – Minggl? What’s wrong with plain Mingle?)

Every time I read the info from one internet marketing guru, he or she directs me to another such guru in a different niche. Talk about Alice down the rabbit hole! I’ve already gotten to the stage of hallucinogenic mushrooms!

Tonight I definitely feel like the intro from my June 16th post:

One pill makes you larger
And one pill makes you small
And the ones that mother gives you
Don't do anything at all
Go ask
Alice
When she's ten feet tall

“White Rabbit,” Jefferson Airplane

There was one compensation for my filing spree – I listened to “The Very Best of Peter, Paul and Mary” while stuffing papers into various file folders. The CD includes my favorite P,P and M song – “Stewball.”

What happened to the paperless world we were promised? If only…

Technorati Tags:
, , , , , , , , , , , , ,

2 comments:

Cedarwaxwing said...

I've not heard of gather.com Nor minggl, but I often use Twhirl for reading and responding to tweets. I love flock when I know I am going to spend a lot of time with my flickr account.

I'm sure you asked the "what's wrong with "mingle" over "minggl" question "tongue-in-cheek" but in case you were serious, my guess is that the name mingle was already taken.

I love "Stewball" as well. When my kids were tweens and asked for Britney Spears CDs I gave them the CD you mentioned in your post instead. They loved it and that summer we all went to a Peter, Paul and Mary concert together! (hmm, I feel a blog post forming)

Unknown said...

I heard a great deal of praise for gather.com today on a mastermind call as well as helium.com, of which I had never heard. There's only so much time in the day to go to so many different social media websites.

(Yes, the question about Minggl was a joke. Still, I think I would have come up with a different name.)

Glad you love "Stewball" too.